a tale of three cookies: part 1

I've been looking for a good oatmeal cookie recipe. A few years ago I had one that was perfect, producing almost flat, crispy-edged, chewy middle cookies. But that was when I would write out recipes on post-its and stick them on the inside of my cupboards. Needless to say, that recipe has disappeared. I recently tried three new recipes. One with raisins, one with finely chopped nuts and coconut, and one just straight-up oatmeal. So, did I find "the one?" I'll reveal my findings on friday. Until then, here's recipe number one.

This oatmeal-raisin cookie tasted great, but the texture itself was too cakey and too thick. Yes, they were chewy, but I need those crisp edges!

8 tbsp butter, room temperature
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
3/4 C flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 C quick-cook oats
3/4 C raisins

1. Preheat oven to 350. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer) cream butter and sugars. Add egg and vanilla and mix.

2. In a bowl mix flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Add to the butter mixture and combine. Stir in oats, then stir in raisins.

3. Shape the dough into balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cookies brown at the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment