food souvenirs from italy

When I left Italy my luggage was about 10 pounds heavier than when I left Canada. And of course Alitalia made me pay (not going to disclose the INSANE amount of Euros!) to bring all my precious Italian food souvenirs back home. I knew that I was going to have pay, but it still hurt (my wallet). Anyways, here are some of the things that I brought back with me. Not pictured are the olives, anchovies, peperoncini, aged balsamic vinegar, more chocolate and more olive oil that contributed to my overweight bag.

* honey from Tuscany

* two types of mostarda

* close-up of mostarda (you can kinda see the whole fruit in there)

* three types of hazelnut spread (one from a grocery store, one from Vestri—an amazing chocolate shop in Florence, and of course, Nutella—bought solely for the Barbapapa jar)

* two types of olive oil purchased at the Mercato Centrale in Florence. November is when the new olive oil is pressed and I was lucky enough to pick up two cans that were pressed just days before.

* snacks: fonzies and Nutella & Go (brilliant idea! wish they had these here.)

* fonzies (i.e inferior Cheetos that have the same texture, but taste like the smell of burnt Kraft Singles. In other words: gross.)

* milk chocolate & pistachio bar from Vestri

* bar close-up: this was really good. I also picked up a white chocolate & almond bar that has already been devoured.

4 comments:

  1. What was your favourite food/drink product that you brought back Vern?

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely olive oil. the stuff here doesn't compare. i got some really fresh oil and have been loving it on everything. the chocolate was also amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm... no doubt. I've heard olive oil and balsamic vinegar are worth the money to get the good stuff. Wouldn't have thought chocolate from Italy would be awesome though. I know you love food, but c'mon... pls... tell me you peaked at their shoes?!??!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man, the leather wares were amazing! boots galore! it took all i had in me to restrain myself. hopefully i'll be back soon enough.

    ReplyDelete