scottish shortbread

Christmas is just around the corner, and although I'm not planning on doing a crazy amount of baking this year, I really wanted to find a good, traditional shortbread recipe. After doing some research I came up with this recipe. I made my shortbread into thick squares opposed to cookies and they turned out just like Walkers shortbread (which I happen to love). They are crisp yet buttery, crumbly and melt-in-your-mouth delicious. I plan on making another batch before Christmas with toffee bits and maybe even a chocolate-dipped version.



1/2 C sugar
1 C cornstarch
2 C flour
pinch of salt
1/2 lb salted butter, room temperature
1 tbsp of sugar for sprinkling

1. In a mixing bowl combine sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt.

2. Cut butter into cubes and add to dry ingredients. Use your hands to incorporate butter until the mixture resembles the texture of sand (it won't look like a dough).

3. Press mixture firmly and evenly into a 8 x 8-inch baking dish. Use a fork to prick the dough about 1-inch apart over entire surface.

4. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes, then turn down oven to 300 and bake for an additional 35 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with additional sugar. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment