Here is one of my asian infused comfort food recipes that will definitely have you wanting more. It's pretty easy and the leftovers make amazing sandwiches. Most of my recipes have been adapted from basic recipes with my own take and flavour added in. I am a big fan of comfort food classics and here is my take on the classic meatloaf. I paired it up with maple sweet potato mash but the recipe below is just for the meatloaf. Enjoy!
1 lb of organic ground beef
2 large eggs
1 C white onions, chopped
1 C shitake mushrooms, chopped
1 C + 1/3 C panko bread crumbs
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/3 C basil, chopped
1/2 C green scallions, chopped
1/3 C ponzu sauce
1/3 C tomato paste
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp red miso paste
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp onion powder
ground pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together onions, mushrooms, garlic, basil, and scallions and set aside.
3. Place ground beef in a separate bowl and mix in sauces and seasonings. Then add one cup of panko crumbs and eggs and combine.
4. Add the vegetable mixture to the meat mixture and combine by hand. Place in the fridge for 45 minutes before baking to let the flavours come together.
5. Once the mixture has fully marinated place your meatloaf mixture into a deep rectangle glass baking dish. A deep 3-inch Pyrex is ideal.
6. Sprinkle the top of the meatloaf with the remaining 1/3 cup of panko for a crispy crust.
7. Bake in the oven for approximately 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
8. Let cool for 20 minutes before cutting into thick slices.