3/4 C flour, plus extra for rolling
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 C butter, cold
2 C old cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 C parmigiano reggiano cheese, grated
1. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, pepper and cayenne.
2. Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or using a hand mixer), mix butter and cheese until combined (it will still be lumpy). Add flour mixture and mix on low speed until dough forms. It will take about 5 minutes for the dough to form and the mixture will appear very crumbly until the last minute when everything comes together.
3. Divide the dough in half and flatten each half into a disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. For easy clean up, roll out each dough disk between two pieces of parchment paper until 1/8-inch thick. Alternatively, roll out the dough on floured surface. Cut out shapes or squares. Do not re-roll leftover dough as the outcome will be tough crackers.
5. Transfer crackers to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until puffed and golden. Remove from crackers from baking sheet and cool on a wire rack. Store these in an airtight container.