homemade funnel cakes

There was one thing that I was craving this entire summer: funnel cakes. And since summer is now almost over, I decided to take matters into my own hands and make my own funnel cakes at home. These were friggin delicious and I'd make these again in a second. It took some time to scour the internet and compile bits and pieces of a few recipes to come up with the perfect one, but in the end it was definitely worth it. I served mine with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and next time I'm going to go the extra mile and stew some strawberries to make that syrupy-sweet fruit topping that most funnel cakes come with.


(makes about 5 medium-sized funnel cakes)
1 1/2 C flour
1 1/4 C milk
1 egg
4 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
icing sugar for dusting
vegetable oil for deep-frying

1. In a bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl whisk milk, sugar and egg. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and mix until there are no lumps (don't overmix). Test consistency: it should be thin enough to run through a funnel, but not watery.

2. To fry: heat oil to 370 (I use a deep-fryer, but you can do this in a pot filled with about 3 inches of oil). Place batter in a funnel and cover the opening with your finger. Hold the funnel about an inch from the oil and remove your finger to allow the batter to flow into the oil. Swirl and spiral the funnel to make a circular pattern. Cook on each side for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.

3. Remove from oil and let drain on a paper towel or rack. Dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. ... love funnel cake Vern - reminds me of Wonderland trips as a kid. Had some for the first time in years at the Port Dover fair this summer. Topped w strawberry coulis and icing sugar... so great... think I burnt all the calories trying to keep the bees at bay... keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete