1/3 C whole milk
3 large egg yolks
3 tbsp sugar + more for topping
1 vanilla bean, split
1. Heat cream, milk and vanilla bean until it the mixture just boils. Remove from heat and let steep for 30 minutes.
2. After 30 minutes, whisk egg yolks and 3 tbsp of sugar until light and thick (this may take some time and arm strength).
3. Slowly add cream mixture to the egg mixture. Be sure to add it slowly or the eggs will scramble.
4. Divide the mixture into 3 ramekins (could be 4 depending on their size). Place the ramekins in a baking pan. Fill the pan with water until it reaches half way up the ramekins. Place in a 200 degree oven for 35 minutes. Raise temperature to 325 degrees and continue baking until the creme brulee is set, but still jiggly in the middle, 15 minutes or so. Let cool completely then place in the fridge to chill (these can be chilled in advance for about 3 days).
5. To serve: Cover entire surface of each custard with sugar. Using a mini blow torch "brulee" the tops until dark and caramelized.